And the Verdict Is…

You may remember that one time my apartment was broken into. Fast forward six months to Sunday, April 28. I woke up to a call from a NYPD detective working on the case with news of a suspect in custody. My jaw hit the floor while I listened to the message.

After not hearing a single update for six months, I figured they closed the case. I spoke to the detective and he provided me with the suspect’s name. I answered two simple questions: “Do you know [suspect]?” (“No.”) and “Did [suspect] have permission to enter your apartment?” (“Absolutely not.”). And with that, the conversation was over. The detective said he’d stop by my apartment later that day to show me a photo of said suspect (who I, yes, half-heartedly tried to look up on Facebook). Hours later, still no detective.

Days pass. No news. First thing Thursday morning when I arrived at the office, I noticed I had a voicemail from an “Unknown” number. It was the detective reminding me that I had to be present at court that same morning to testify. Uh, whaaaattt? Dumbfounded, I immediately returned his call. He asked if the District Attorney (DA) reached out to which I responded “Nope.” Surely he couldn’t have expected me to drop everything and go to court without a subpoena.

That night, I came home to a subpoena shoved under my apartment door with a glaring court date of Friday, April 3 at 9 a.m. At this point, I was feeling relatively annoyed, slightly nervous and mostly curious.

This morning, I donned my best blazer, a pair of smart printed dress pants and black patent pointy-toed kitten heels and made my way to the Kings County Supreme Court of  The State of New York in Downtown Brooklyn. Truth be told, I was pretty nervous. I’ve never been in a courthouse before let alone taken the witness stand to testify before a Grand Jury against a suspect in a criminal case.

I calmed my nervous by reading A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald while I waited. And waited. And waited. Finally, the Assistant District Attorney (ADA) pulled me into a small, messy room that contained several cubicles. She prepared a statement that I reviewed, signed and was then notarized. Then I was dismissed.

The whole entire morning was so underwhelming and anticlimactic. Kind of a disappointment really. I trudged all the way to Downtown Brooklyn and didn’t even get any courtroom action. I was hoping for some kind of payoff! I didn’t get to testify and I don’t know if the suspect is getting jail time. That and I wasted an entire morning in an unimpressive gray-washed witness room. I suppose the remarkable view from the 16th floor made up for it.

Next step: contact the detective for new details. If there are any, I’ll be sure to post an update. Sorry to disappoint! I’m sure some of you were hoping for a verdict just as much as I was.

Share Your Thoughts...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s